Depression or Sadness
Life presents with challenges at all levels and so hardly any one can say they have a stress-free life. Since life is 10% challenges and 90% of how we manage them it makes sense to devise effective coping strategies. There are some of us however who are overwhelmed with home, work and other stressors of life that make us want to withdraw from the race of life. There is a lack of concentration, making simple mistakes, feelings of hopelessness, loss of desire for the things that you had an interest in, withdrawal from friends and family members, persistently feeling low and sad, sleep and eating problems and thoughts about suicide. If you are presently experiencing some of these symptoms ongoing for at least six months you could be experiencing depression. Many people ignore these indicators until they become physically sick and not able to carry out their daily routine at work, home, church, etc.
According to WHO (world health organization) depression is a common illness with more than 264 million patients worldwide from which 76-85% people of low and middle income countries do not receive any treatment. In a report of WHO shows that women are more prone to depression. The reason depressed patients do not receive any treatment is depression is not considered as an illness. People often deny the existence of mental illness.
Depression is something that affects your daily activities negatively. Depression is classified as mood disorder. We must know that sometimes feeling sad or low is completely fine but constantly having this feeling could be a sign of depression. People often lose their fascination of living a normal life and in worse scenario they give up on their life. It is something that could almost happen to anyone; from a 13years old kid to an 80years old person. The symptoms vary from gender to gender and person to person.
"I found that with depression, one of the most important things you can realize is that you're not alone. You're not the first to go through it; you're not going to be the last to go through it."— Dwayne Johnson
The symptoms of depression in men:
• Mood change-rapid change in mood such as irritated, aggressive, anxious, restless
• Sleeping issues- either sleeping a lot, insomnia, restless sleep, interrupted sleep
• Emotional issues- constantly feeling low, sad, empty
• Sexual issues- disinterested in intercourse, reduced sexual performance
• Behavioral issues- disinterested in work, loss of interest in favorite activities, clumsy
• Bodily issues- feeling tired, unable to concentrate, digestive issues.
The symptoms of depression in women:
• Mood issues- rapid mood swings, irritated
• Emotional issues- feeling hollow, unhappy, hopeless
• Bodily issues- greater fatigue, decreased energy, pain, headaches
• Menstrual issues- cramps, heavy bleeding, shorter or longer cycle than usual
• Sleeping issues- insomnia, lack of proper sleep, sleepless nights, sleeping the whole day
The symptoms of depression in children:
• Mood issues- irritated, anger, crying
• Emotional issues- low self confidence (i.g. I can do nothing right), extreme sadness
• Behavioral issues- not going to school, avoiding friends, family
• Sleeping issues- unable to sleep, excessive sleep
• Bodily issues- changes in appetite, change in weight, lack of energy, less enthusiastic
These symptoms might refer to some other issues. But if you see these symptoms in you, you must consult with a professional. A professional aid would help you to understand your state of mind and body and could give you necessary pieces of advice that might help you sort your issues. You must not forget mental health is as important as physical health.
The causes of depression:
The causes of depression cannot be exactly determined but there are some aspects which are co-related to depression. Depression can occur from many things. Such as-
• Family history of depression shows a higher risk of having this problem.
• Any traumatic incident can be a cause of depression
• Certain medical issues like ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), insomnia, and chronic pain can cause depression.
• Drug abuse could be a reason of depression.
There could be more reasons behind depression. Depression should be treated properly. It is a mental condition which requires treatment and must not be avoided as it often becomes a reason of suicide.
It is always okay to have mental issues. But what is not okay is not dealing with it, not facing it or not treating it. It is never too late to ask for help. Have you ever wondered that why is everyone writing about depression, talking about it, or googling it? The reason is it is as real as any other physical problems like asthma, diarrhea, anemia, cancer etc. Everyday people are facing it. But unfortunately, most of them do not know how to deal with it, where to go for help.
Before the situation gets worse everyone should get immediate help. Depending on the severity of the condition people should manage a way to cope up with the illness. It is not too late yet. The psychotherapist would engage you in talk therapy and help you restore a sense of harmony and mental stability. And the address of getting help from any professional is Seeking Shalom. Seeking Shalom has trained and experienced therapists in the area of depression. Seeking Shalom works with children, adolescents and adults. It offers you two contexts to help you deal with your depression issue. You can engage in weekly individual/family therapy or in a twelve week group setting where you get to interact with persons like yourself and together learn helpful strategies and techniques to deal with depression. To pursue any of these options you can contact us via telephone at 212-655-9605. We would be happy to help you on this journey to healthier living.
More Writings To Come
Twenty Three Questions to Ask While this rundown has 23 inquiries on it, you don’t have to solicit all from them. Nonetheless, this rundown…
On the off chance that you vowed to keep a companion’s secret about self-hurt – you have to break that guarantee. Peruse on to…
Parents frequently battle with how to draw and authorize limits for their adolescent kid. For instance, think about the accompanying circumstance: Envision your seventeen…
An excessive number of individuals bite the dust each year to suicide. How would you help a friend or family member you think might…
A story to portray how commonality in a relationship can prompt a feeling of fatigue This applies to your relationship, yet before we legitimately…
Marriage treatment: now and then just one of the two accomplices is happy to come to treatment. How might you chip away at your…